How to Tell Your Home Needs Further Insulation
The average homeowner may spend anywhere from 40 to 50 percent of their monthly utility bills on heating and cooling. This number gets even higher for homes that lack the proper insulation.
Indeed, as you think about ways to improve energy efficiency and to keep your utility costs under control, one of the most practical approaches is to verify that your home is well-insulated.
The question is, how can you tell when your home lacks the necessary insulation? There are a number of red flags and warning signs to watch out for.
Signs Your Home Needs Better Insulation
Some telltale signs to consider include:
- You have uneven temperatures throughout your home. In a well-insulated home, the temperature should be pretty even from room to room. If you have rooms that consistently feel quite a bit cooler than others, it may be due to inadequate or uneven insulation.
- You notice rising energy bills. Take a few minutes to review your energy bills from the last two to three years. Do you notice an upward trend? Has it become more costly to heat and cool your home? This may be because some of your insulation has settled in and isn’t as effective as it used to be.
- Your walls, ceilings, or floors are cold to the touch. One easy way to diagnose your home insulation needs is to do the touch test. If your walls, ceilings, or floors feel icy, that may be because of a lack of proper insulation.
- You feel chilly winter drafts. During the winter months, do you ever experience cool drafts of air coming in around windows or doors? This could be because there are little cracks and crevices letting the outside in (and letting your precious heat escape). Spray foam insulation can be a great fix.
- You find mice or bugs in your home. If you have pests in your home, you have to assume there’s an opening or a crack where they’re getting inside… and often, it will be around the windows or doors. Again, spray foam insulation can help you solve the problem.
- You see ice dams on your roof. During winter storms, do you observe ice dams on your roof? If so, that typically points to uneven insulation in your attic. Have some new insulation put in to help keep your roof free and clear or ice dams, and also to better regulate internal temperatures.
- Your pipes freeze. If you find that the pipes inside your walls have frozen, that’s a dead giveaway that your home needs a little extra insulation.
Protect Your Home with Proper Insulation
There are a number of ways in which you can tell that your home is due for an insulation upgrade. If you notice any of these red flags or warning signs, reach out to the team at Apex Insulation. We’re standing ready to come evaluate your home and provide for any of your insulation needs. Contact us today to make an appointment.